H.C 251 t.H.C 113. C.M
"And the Spirit of God moved upon
the face of the waters" - Gen. 1:1
1. WHEN God of old came down
In pow'r and wrath He came
Before His feet the clouds were riven
Half darkness and half flame.
2. But when He came the second time
He came in pow’r and love
Softer than gale at morning prime
Hovered His holy Dove.
3. The fires that rush‘d on Sinai down
ln sudden torrents dread
Now gently light, a glorious crown
On every sainted head.
4. And as on Israel's awe-struck ear
The voice exceeding loud
The trump that angels quake to hear
Thrill’d from the deep, dark cloud.
5. So, when the spirit of our God
Came down His flock to find
A voice from heav’n was heard abroad
A rushing mighty wind.
6. It fills the Church of God, it fills
The sinful world around
Only in stubborn hearts and wills
No place for it is found.
7. Come, Lord, come, Wisdom, Love and pow'r'
Open our ears to hear
Let’s not miss the accepted hour
Save, Love by love or fear. Amen